Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Bangkok Life part 15


Do you remember the picture of the beautiful blue sky in Bangkok Life part 14, as you would expect, ever since that photo was taken it as lashed it down for what seems for ever. the photo at the side was taken exactly a week later, one good benefit is the temperature as crept below 30C. I cant believe I thought it was cold when it slipped down to 27C, I'm going to have to choose my visits back to the UK very carefully, anytime between september and may is out!
Thanks to those who have offered to send me a food parcel to satisfy my craving for UK food, anyone who sends me a parcel I will recipricate with a Thai food parcel back.
We've almost stopped cooking at home now, its so much cheaper to eat at the local restaurants or buy from one of the many food carts that line the street. In the evening in nearly all of Bangkok, every single metre of pavement is covered with people hawking food, you can buy everything from BBQ'd squid, salad, fruit and these amazing tasty sausages. One problem that sometimes as you walk past, the cook will have just thrown a load of spices into the hot oil and you get a full face waft of this, you go past coughing and sneezing. I'm sure they wait for the big Farang's like me, just for a laugh. What is a joke is the cost, from this guy I bought a bag of spicy Papya salad and three Chicken satay breasts with peanut sauce for 30baht (45p). They taste so good when you compare them against the puny ones from a Supermaket Deli.
This weekend Nuch and I are going to Pattaya, its a coastal resort about 120km from Bangkok. This place gained fame during the 60's and 70's. Whilst the GI's were fighting the Vietnam war they were given one week rest and recuporation (R&R). Most of these were shipped out of the warzone and went to a small resort called Pattaya, it soon filled with Go-Go bars, working girls and hotels. After the war its fame spread and tourists from all round the world came to see this wild place. Loads of Brits live there because it is cheaper than Bangkok. Pattaya as a split personality, one part you would take your family for the perfect beach holiday, whilst the other part makes Amsterdam and Prague look like Convents. I will try to get some photos of the seedier parts of town.
Below find a photo I took of myself the other day. This reflects my daily exercise regime. its a shame that my new job will spoil this.

1 comment:

BangkokRam said...

Self portrait Mate.