Saturday, July 23, 2005

Bangkok Life Part 6



Hello Everybody,
Finally finished my Thai Language Lessons, I had hope to tell you how fluent I was in Thai. Unfortunately, I did not pick up as much as I had hoped, I can now get by on Public Transport, Restaurants, Markets and greet people, and maybe I was looking for too much! The first picture was taken from my Thai School looking down towards the centre of Bangkok, you will the rail line, this is the Skytrain which links most of the centre of Bangkok, and on either side of the lower right hand road, the two silver domes are the underground stations, I use the Underground (MRT) to get into town.

Before this week does beer a review, because of death threats I received in regards to the Tiger Beer taste. I have to apologise and say that Tiger Beer is the best beer in the world! The whole Royal Navy can’t be wrong.
This week’s beer is called Leo, it as a taste that grows on you, at first it tastes like Tiger, but then a richer beer taste hits your throat. The cost is about 24p per half pint can, but it lacks strength, at only 5.4%abv. I estimate a cost of £2.40 to get up to full fight frenzy.

Taste 5/10
Ease of getting pissed 6/10
Value 7/10

Total score 18

This week’s fruit as no English name, when foreigners like me order it, we ask for Apple Custard, the main reason for that is when you scrape off the soft fibrous outer you reveal a soft white segmented fruit, and believe or not, it actually taste like apple pie and custard. A little bit to freaky for my taste. Also as you can see from the last photo, I had the pleasure of trying deep fried grasshopper, and guess what, it tasted just like you would expect! It was the legs sliding down my throat that made me not want to try the sautéed Beetle! This was reason number 2 not to get steaming drunk in Bangkok, I think I’ll stick to Tiger Beer in the future.

This weekend I’m off to the Seaside! To a Resort called Cha Am, we’ve booked a beachside Bungalow, expensive by Thai standards, a whole £55 for the night, it had better be good.

Speak to you all soon

Chris.

No comments: