Friday, July 22, 2005

Bangkok Life Part 2

(Eggy Sponge Cake)


Hello Everybody,
Life is beginning to settle down, I managed to pull my back at the driving range, just as I was about to hit my driver stright and 340 yards down the range, the range is only 200m long, so I'm unable to use anything less than a 6 iron.

Enough of the golf, I'm starting pick up the lingo "Nueng Singha Khrap" - " One Beer Please " Obviously I have to pick up the essentials first, " Which way to Hospital? I think i've broken my back at the Driving Range" can wait. The people seem friendly enough! All foriegners are referred to as "Farang" said "Falang", it is not an insult, any westerner is referred to in this manner. My height is a great curiosty to them, I tower over the nearest Thai Bloke by about 6".

Lets get to my favourite topic, "Food", I have already forgotten English Food, I'm now into Thai food badly, it is spicy, not delicately spiced like indian, but bloody raw chilli spicy. however you soon build a resistance to it. On every street corner there is someone selling freshly prepared hot food, yesterday I bought dinner from 3 stalls. First Stall I bought these what looked like mini cornish pasties, they're filled with a spicy chicken filling, the cost 30baht. Second I bought a pack of what were like spicy hamburgers with a sweet chilli sauce, there where about 10 burgers, cost 20 baht. lastly I went for rice with Thai green curry with chicken and a portion of spicy pork mince with chilli and rice, cost for both 50baht. There was enough for 3 easily, the total cost was 100 baht, which is about £1.40. I've stopped cooking. As it happen Nuch doesn't like her food ready mixed with rice, so I ate the bits I wanted and we went round the corner to an open air Thai Place, very basic!!! She had stir fry with prawns with a seperate bowl of rice, I had a Pepsi, cost 30 baht - 40p.
Also fruit, one of the pictures is of 3 fruits, the fruit is fantastic, the fruit on the left is called Mangsteen, you break it open to reveal a soft white sweet fruit, the second are called Yambatu,(look like hairy testicles, which is my name for them! Nuch pass me a hairy testicle please) no english name! You cut around the outside to reveal 1 half of the fruit then bite it and pull the rest of the skin off, they taste soft and sweet. ( Maybe like hairy testicles? Who Knows). The third are my favourite, Lychees. You peel the skin off to reveal the most sweet juicy inner, uummmm! The only problem is you have to buy a kilo at a time, it's ok, there only about 15p a kilo.
Oh yes the first picture are what the Thais eat instead of sweets. their made from egg and cooked like yorkshire puddings, they have the texture of sponge, but are very sweet, addictive!

I went to see the house that was being built for us, WOW! Its a semi, with three good sized bedrooms, it as 2 bathrooms, downstairs it as a open plan living and dining room and a kitchen and toilet, they have a good sized garden, they are quite a bit out of the city, but for the price of £18500 I'll make a few sacrifices.

Next week, I will get off my fat ass and get some money in, so if anyone is after any watches, bags, perfume, jeans or shoes let me know?
(Wierd Hairy Fruit)

Till next time

Chris













(Show House) (Side of show House)

No comments: