Thursday, October 11, 2012

Lance Armstrong




This week, the doping scandal that as dogged 7 times Tour de France winner came to a head.

The USADA published a 1000 page report into what mounts to systematic doping during the US Postal days between 1999 & 2006. It can't be good reading for Lance Armstrong. A lot of the report is a re-hash of what as been out there in the public domain already. A lot is made of the testimony of ex team mates, some of these from proven drug cheats, who to be honest are cheats in sport so cheats in life, so I discount their testimony.

However, the killer blow comes from ex team mate and friend George Hencapie. George, whom I've always had a lot of respect for says that at his time at USPS he was part of a massive fraud to get round doping controls.

I'm in a strange place at the second, Lance Armstrong and own suffering and motivation got me out of a very dark place when I was ill back in 2003. His books and DVDs were inspirational, making you forget how ill I was and carry on with life.

His sporting achievements may be in the dock, but his work with his cancer foundation "Livestrong" as been outstanding, I still wear a yellow wristband, when this one breaks I will buy another.

I am prepared to give L A the benefit of the doubt for the moment. If the silver bullet ever turns up and this would mean L A actually admitting he was a cheat, then I will have to think again about my thoughts towards him.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: