Friday, August 18, 2006

Pay the Bribe


The other day I was driving along, minding my own business. I changed lane very correctly and was just about to proceed, when it happened. A Boy in Brown pulled me over.

This is not uncommon, the Bangkok Police are well known for extorting money out of drivers, I’ve been stopped before for riding my Mountain bike on the road.

What follows is a farce, he tells you what you have done wrong, in my case, I'd changed lanes! Then he begins to write you up a ticket, what was different this time were the cost. I could get a ticket and pay 1000baht or I could pay him 500baht now, usually it is half this amount. Being as I’m driving on a UK license, I didn’t want any problems so I paid the 500baht.

When I told Nuch, she was furious, firstly. None of the money I paid will end up in the Thai Treasury; secondly I should have got the ticket because her Uncle could have sorted it out for 200baht.

At the end of the day I had too pay a bribe, not happy….

1 comment:

BangkokRam said...

Sorry TGB, A Yorkshireman parting with money of his own free will, Never!!!