Monday, September 25, 2006

Thailand Gestapo


I have just come back from my visit to the Immigration Department to obtain my Spouse Visa.

OK, let’s start again! I have just been to the Gestapo to beg for my visa.

Didn’t beg well enough because I left empty handed. There is definitely an anti foreigner feeling in Thailand at the moment. Luckily only from the Junta and its Departments, but that is the seat of power.

The woman who looked at our case find the pettiest of flaws in my application and all of them extra bits of paperwork that are not asked for in the original application form. I have had to give up on getting the visa because one of the things I need to find does not exist. A piece of paper that should be on the back of our marriage paperwork. On the last piece it says continued, she wants the next piece even though all the pieces are there. So what do you do?

Unlike the UK, there is no right of appeal and the fact that you have fulfilled the criteria you still not given the visa to stay with your wife and very soon to be child.

With what as happened in the last week, I will have to give my long term future in Thailand serious thought. It’s a shame but there you go.

No comments: