Sunday, September 05, 2010

Diabetes and Me Day 32

What a day! It was the day of my first real hard ride. The guys from my old bike club met up on a memorial ride for a mate who died in an accident whilst out training a few years ago.

Ten turned out for the trip, from the off it was uphill and bloody hard. I was straight to the back and was playing catch up all day. Only on one of the decents did I overtake some body. Basicallythe route took me up through Wirksworth, up to the trig point at Black Rocks, up the last two inclines of the High Peak Junction then up to the tops of Middleton. Finally a decent down to Grangemill, then up again to Ible before a decent down through Bonsall to Cromford.

Unfortunately, at the top of Ible, had a mega hyperglicaemic attack, my blood sugar level dropped very quickly and I had to sit down before I fell down. I ate two cereal bars and carried on. It caught up with me again at Cromford and I was forced to stop at The Greyhound Pub. I had a pint of Coke, a packet of crisps and a bar from Lee.

Lee was a proper Mate, he arranged to have me taken home and looked after me.

When I got home, I treated myself to a Macdonalds thinking it would help bring my sugar levels back to something like. It didn't work and I took my Glucose levels later they were a very low 4.7 mmo/l.

I now know that racing is out of the question for a long time! I need to get fit steadily, not so Gung Ho!

No comments: