Saturday, April 29, 2006

Elections, Elections and more Elections


I see that there was a local election in the UK last week. I hope you all voted, you know your vote makes a difference. Not!

Recently in Thailand, there as been a snap General Election. Which was cool for the ruling party, as the opposition didn't agree with it, so decided not to take part. Last week there was a vote for 200 members of Congress. A really cushy job. SIx years sitting on Committee's, doing bugger all.

What struck me about this was the fact that no one knew what the candidates stood for. There wasn't a metre of pavement or roadside not plastered in campaign posters. All of them featuring very glum looking people with 100's of medals on their uniforms?????

I have since found out that, these people have no policies because they are supposed to be neutral. So if I had been able to vote. I would have voted for either No. 66, the year of my birth, or No. 14 because she looked pretty fit!

Like most things in Thailand there is a dark side to all this. No alcohol is served on election day.

P.S. Just as you thought it was safe to stop hourding beer, the first General Elaction as been nullified, so that will mean another day without beer in the near future....

No comments: