Saturday, February 15, 2014

How safe are your apps

I have recently read an article on Yahoo about how safe are your apps? This report was specifically about Android Apps, on Andoid your can look at your app permissions. Has far as I can see you can't see the permissions on Apple so I don't know if the same applies, chances are it does.

You will see from the three photos below that I screen grabbed from my Samsung Galaxy note 3 that the app in question can listen to my calls, see who I call and even make calls using my number and at my expense. The same is exactly true and the same for SMS messages. Other bizarre permissions include being able to monitor, access and delete info from my sd card, turn my phone off, turn my wifi off, connect to my home network, look through all my photos and the most worrying of all, the app as full network permissions, one can only think about what that means.

I've deleted the above app from my phone, I've also gone through all my apps and uninstalled any that can make use of my phone at my cost. Unfortunately, this includes most anti virus apps which seems a bit ironic....

I've looked on certain web forums where the app developers have been asked why they need all these permissions? The stock answer seems to be "don't worry, we'll never use them". Which isn't really answering the question.

Oh yes, and just to let you know, the app in question in the pics is Facebook. So now I'm only using the mobile Internet Facebook site..

 





No comments: