Thursday, June 07, 2012

Boardman Road Team 2012

I've had my Boardman Road Team for over 8 months now and feel that I should write a review on this bike.

When I first got the bike, I was staggered by the weight (or the lack of it). Coming in a around 8kg, its the lightest bike I have ever owned. Getting on it first time was akin to be on some sort of performance enhancing drug. Light and responsive and nearly a joy to go uphill.

I did have problems with the bike during the first couple of rides! The bottom bracket made a grinding noise during the first ride, I took it back to Halfords and they corrected it straight away, saying it was a common problem from the factory fit it China. Then the front wheel kept on getting loose spokes and going out of true. This was way past the skill of the Halfords staff, so I had to take it to a proper bike shop to be repaired. Since these problems the performance as been flawless.

The Shimano 105 gears are just what you would expect from Shimano, peform every time, never let you down and have a sweet change. The rear cassette as a 25T big sprocket, because of my fitness, a 27T would have been better. Not a fault of the bike, but me.....

After the initial true up, the wheel set is outstanding and the Vittoria Zaffir tyres have been more than a solid ride. In fact, I've nearly rode the tyres now for 1000 miles and they will be changed in the next few months.

The carbon forks have been very comfy, although I have noticed that the ride can get a little harsh over rough tarmac, but I guess thats aluminium for you.

Handlebars are perfect width and height, the stem is probably 15mm too long for me, but I have gotten used to it and will stick with it.

My verdict on the Road Team is a sound 10/10

No comments: