Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Ten Things I Miss About Thailand

This is an idea I got from "Thailand Musing", one of the people I follow on Twitter. So I must apologise for the lack of originality and swiping someone else's idea. However, I feel I've been left Thailand now over four years and there are definately things I miss.

In the next coming weeks, I shal do a post "Ten Things I don't miss about Thailand".
The choices are in no particular order, just as they came to me.

1. Wildlife. It was always great to see wildlife that would never see in the UK, Animals such as Monitors, Crocs, Monkeys, Snakes and Elephants. I've seen all of the above whilst on my travels in Thailand. It always amazed me as you were driving along and come across an elephant on its way home from a days graft, or seeing a Monitor cross the road in front of you. Don't see that very much in the UK

2. Cheap Prices. Obviously all prices are relative! For a foreigner living in the Thailand, day to day life is cheaper and if you go go native then life is very cheap. This does have a down side, but I'll go into that in the don't miss post.

3. Nightlife. Whatever your views on the Thai Nightlife scene, it is such a part of Thai life that to embrace it seems the natural thing to do, don't get me wrong, when you live in Thailand, the Nightlife offered in the flesh pots of Bangkok does become boring. You canthough, have a fantastic night out without even touching those areas. Some of the best nights out I've ever had have been in Thailand. In fact, Hard Rock Cafe Bangkok 24/08/2004, best night ever.

4. Beaches. Thailand is famouse for its coastline, from the beaches of Phuket and Koh Samui through to Hua Hin and Cha Am an and on to the not so good beaches of Pattaya. Some of the Islands you can visit are outstanding. Koh Samet is only 2-1/2 hours by car from Bangkok.

5. Weather, This one will also appear in the don't like post, but you can gaurantee wam/hot weather all year round. The coldest temperature I had in my time in Thailand was 18C.

6. People. Thai people at their best are without doubt some of the kindest people you will ever meet, hard working  and reliable. My Wife's family are second to none, they are very down to earth and I consider them normal people.

7. Street Food. At any time in any part of Thailand you will be able to find a street vendor selling some kind of food, usually freshly prepared and always very cheap. Sadly Health & Safety and social behaviour get in the way of this type of thing taking off in the UK.

8. Restaurant Chains. I know that the UK has its fair share of good restaurants, but in Thailand they have the likes of MK, Fuji, Sizzler and Black Canyon. They all are very distinctive and offer excellent value and food.

9. Tradition. Although Thailand is coming out of the back of their "McDonalds Revolution" on the whole Thai people still respect tradition. The respect for the elderly and the Royal Family can  be only be aploreded, I respect the fact you still have the national anthem at the cinema, you do give your seat up for elderly and pregnant women on buses. Family values are excellent. There are cracks appearing and it is sad to say that Thailand will probably end up the same as the UK in the future, but not yet.


10. Difference. Thailand as not only a different lanquage, but they write differently, Driving is different, courtship is different, the way people look is different, the food is different, the weather, the style of houses, breakfast, TV is all different. I love the difference!!!!


No comments: