Friday, June 30, 2006

Bangkok Life June 06 One Year

I can’t believe it as been one year since I left the UK to start my life in Thailand. One thing for sure is that life can be just as hard over here as it is in the UK. Also the saying blood is thicker than water is very true, my family have kept in touch even when I’ve been slow to reply, so thanks to Mum, Alan, Lisa, Lindsey, Ann, Kevin, Joan, Steve and Paula.

You also find out who good mates are, Phil as usual as turned out to be my best mate. I think I’ve seen him more this year than I ever have done since I worked for him. For everyone who as kept in touch by email thank you, Like I said, I’m not the best myself for keeping in touch. I must give a special mention to Kim; she as been a very good friend to me out here, cheers Lover!

I have recently got in touch with a few people from my past, not in a missing home sort of sense, but a regret at not keeping in touch when I lived in the UK.

The first 3-4 months of my stay were like a phoney stay. More like a glorified holiday than real life. I’m glad to say I have now got that out of my system and realty of normal life is back with me.

Nuch as been a rock, we have had arguments and disagreements, but we are still together, at the end of September we will have a new edition to the family. I’m so excited; I can’t wait for the baby.

The new house was a double edge sword, yes it was cheap. However I think Nuch would agree with me when I say we should have waited, saved some more money and gone for something a little closer to Bangkok, maybe even a Condo and not worry so much about owning land. The house though is looking great and when the garden is completed, it will be our home and I’m very proud of it.

This year as been great for people coming to see me, Phil as been 106 times, Bucko, Dave and friends. Lisa, Alan and Olivia. Plus some old mates from Hull, Chris Cordell and Alan and Jackie Burns. Later in the year I’m looking forward to welcoming my Mum and Alan, Leslie from AMS and Ann and Andy. So I’m going to be busy. I don’t get bored with showing people the sights of Bangkok, whatever they want to see!

I’ve listed below a few top tens that have shaped my life this year;

Things I miss about the UK

Family & Friends
My car
Fish and Chips from Georges
A good pint of bitter
Off road bike rides round Belper
Breadsall Priory, playing golf
Donor Kebabs
Being able to buy clothes that fit
Going to Pride Park to see the Rams
Having the crack with mates

Things I don’t miss about the UK

Income Tax
17.5% VAT
Stamp duty
Poor service
Expensive prices
Politics
Political correctness
Working
Skegness
£1 a litre for fuel
Chavs
Women with attitude
Pissheads
Speed cameras
Council Tax
BNP
Tony Blair

Sorry! That was only supposed to be a top 10, but I got carried away.

Stuff not so good in Thailand;

Bad driving
Language
Heat
Ants

Err, that’s all I can think of.

My top 10 places visited in this last year;

Cha-Am
Hua Hin
Penang
Chom Pon Caves
Khao Yai National Park
Kota Kinabalu
Ko Kret
Baiyoke Tower
Grand Palace
Kuala Lumpur

I will try harder to keep in touch this year; hopefully I will be making a visit back to the UK before New Year, but who can tell. Goodbye for now everyone.

No comments: