Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 The year that was

Over all 2010 has not been a bad year, the high was finding out that I had Type 2 diabetes, I know people may think that this is a strange high to choose, but finding out what was making me depressed, tired and unwell in one stroke was great and since then I've felt a lot better about life.

The low wasn't loosing my job back in October like most people may think, but it was having to take Elizabeth out of full time Nursery and because of their intransigence having to find her a new Nursery. Luckily I have a very stable daughter and as usual, she as taken everything in wake.

Rather than go through the year month to month, I'll talk about the things I remember. April saw Elizabeth and I go to Mallorca. Mallorca is one of my favourite destinations and I haven't been there since April 2005. We stayed in customers Apartment (Which got me in a load of shit at work, but that's another story). The weather was OK, Elizabeth was great on the plane and she was happy just to be on the beach all day. I will definitely be going back next year.

It was also this time of the year when the latest round of political troubles began in Thailand. They very nearly resulted in a revolution. Sadly it culminated in the deaths of nearly 100 protesters and today the problem hasn't gone away. We plan to go to Thailand next year, but we shall be monitoring the situation very carefully!

Facebook has played a big part in my life this year, this social network means I have been able to keep in touch easier with Friends and family. Also the ability to find friends from my distant past. Like this photo sent to me from Karl Gamble, a guy I went to school with. This photo was taken in 1981 up at the High School. I love it. I also went on a ride organised by my old bike club in memory of one of our mates who was killed out on a bike whilst I was in Thailand.

In August Elizabeth and I went away to N. Wales, this part of the UK is one of my favourites, Alot of my childhood and a big percentage of my adult has been spent in Snowdonia. It was great to get back to some of the old haunts and camping with Elizabeth was a blast. In september we went back to Barmouth, this time Nuch came with us. I'm not sure Nuch appreciated the outdoors, but me and Elizabeth will be going back in 2011.



It was whilst I was on holiday that I was informed that I was being made redundent. In all fairness I had been expecting for some time, so it didn't come as a shock. This meant that I had to pull Elizabeth out of full time Nursery. She loves Nursery, especially the social side of it. She still see's some of her old friends and in the new year will be starting back full time at a different Nursery. In 2011, we'll also find out which Primary School she will attend.

In August I found out that I was a Type 2 Diabetic. No real surprise, the life style I lead means that I'm a ripe candidate. It something I have to learn to live with. It as made me change my lifestyle and hopefully it will be more controllable.

Overall this year as been OK, I'll give it a firm 7/10. Last year I rated the year 6/10 just.

I don't look forward anymore, because if I do, then things never happen the way you want them to. In fact the further I think ahead the more wrong things seem to go. I have set three goals for next year.

  • Definately get fitter and cope with Diabetes
  • Visit Thailand
  • Find a job that suits me
Lets see.....

No comments: