Friday, July 29, 2005

The Bull's Head



For a few weeks now I’ve been fighting the urge for some home comforts, yesterday I had to meet a friend in one of the more touristy parts of Bangkok. On the corner of the Soi (Street), there was an establishment called “The Bull's Head”. So I had half an hour to kill so in I went. Apart from the air conditioning, it was just like walking into your country local! So far so good. There on the bar was the cure for my itch, a pint of good dark “Bitter”. There with a proper pump, A gorgeous pint of Kilkenny, with a sign next to it saying “John Smiths arriving soon” I ordered my pint and waited for it being poured, then waited for it to settle. The expectation!! I bought the glass to my lips and started to drink, I was unable to take it away, the taste was fantastic, I only had a third of a pint left when I put the glass down. That third didn’t last long and I had to order another, which I’m afraid to say was soon followed by another.
It was about this time that my phone rang, “Where was I, and when would I be at the Teashop for brunch?” The answer was obvious “I’m in the Pub Love, if you want me, you know where to find me” A few minutes later my three guests arrived and soon got into the spirit of the thing by ordering pints of Kilkenny. Luckily for me, two of them did not like the liquid nectar, so I had to drink them.
By this time, I was “Pissed”. What do you do when you are worse for wear? Eat of course, so having got hold of a menu, I was delighted to see such delicacies as Cornish Pasties, Toad in the Hole, Fish and Chips and Bangers and Mash. I decided on Steak Pie and Chips. Chips are one thing that the Thai’s just don’t do, I’m not complaining, but sometimes you need the comforts of home. The Steak Pie was fantastic and washed down with a couple more pints I was set for a sleep; unfortunately I was an hour by public transport away.
By the time I’d gotten home, I had a raging headache, wanted to sleep for a week and my thirst was huge. A proper afternoon on the ale was had by all. I’ve included a map of the Bull's Head, its well worth a visit should you ever come to Bangkok for more than a week. Costs of the beer were around £1.70 a pint (Twice the price of Thai Beer) and the Steak Pie was £3.80)
Near the Bull's Head was the Robin Hood, so out of a sense of good will to all British Pubs, I will try this one soon.

No comments: