Monday, July 25, 2005

Bangkok Life Part 8


Hello Everybody,
Last Friday was “Buddha Day” in Thailand, so on Thursday evening Nuch and I went to the local supermarket and bought some food to give to the Monks the following day. Nuch got really pissed off with me trying to put beer, whisky and chocolate in the basket, knowing full well they do not drink alcohol or partake in unnecessary treat. We bought enough for nine Monks, so EARLY next morning we went to the local Wat (Temple) to offer the food to the Monks. Buddhist Monks can only eat what people give them at the beginning of the day; they give a blessing to you when you put the alms in their prayer bowls! All pretty cool really, these guys look so serene, praying and chanting, the smell of incense and the whole atmosphere is very moving, even to a No-Brainer like me!
Anyway Nuch was happy with the visit, she was even happier when I found out that there was no sale of alcohol all day. GREAT!!!!

This week’s beer should be well known to everyone, “Heineken”. It’s brewed in Thailand and even though its only 5%abv, the taste is like what a proper lager should taste like, sharp, but with a sweet under taste. Because of the low strength and the cost at 40p per half pint can, it would take a staggering £4.50 before you would fancy a cheeky Donor..

Taste 9/10
Ease of getting pissed 5/10
Value 5/10
Total score 19

This week I’ve decided to tell you about a few of Thailand’s little differences, but differences we should take up in the UK. The first one is “Drink in a plastic Bag” Thailand is mad on recycling, every waste bin is staked out, with people ready to grab plastics and metals. All glass bottles have a refund value, this the shopkeeper or street vendor is keen to get back. So rather than give you the bottle, they’ll put the Coke or Fanta in a ice filled plastic bag, and give you straw, providing you remember to hold it by the handle, its perfectly ok and very refreshing with all the ice, and bearing in mind the whole cost is 10bht (13p) you cant grumble.
The second thing I’ve come across was this hose in the Bathroom, for many weeks I thought it was the thing that Nuch used to clean the bathroom floor, I’ve found out through a web site that it is really the Thai version of a Bidet. I confirmed this with Nuch, (who could not believe we didn’t have them in the UK). She wanted to know what we used? When I told her, “usually only paper”, she stared at me in disgust. Anyway, I tried it and let me tell you, hoses by the toilet are the future. Now I can’t wait to go to the toilet and use this new toy.

Talk to you all soon

Chris.

1 comment:

BangkokRam said...

TGB, you nearly made me wet myself with laughter! You right on the ball though, keep the comments coming.