Thursday, September 02, 2010

Back on the bike (Again)

As most of you know, I used to do a bit of cycling. However for the last ten years I've ridden very little. Whilst in Thailand I tried to keep fit using my bike, unfortunately combining the heat and the mental traffic it was very difficult to get the riding off the ground.

I undertook one MTB race in Thailand, it nearly killed me!!! I haven't raced seriously now for 12 years, the last race a road race around Darley Moor in 1999.

For the last 8 weeks I've been getting back on my bike, one main reason is my health! Hard cycling is excellent for loosing weight and I've got a lot of weight to loose. The first couple of weeks were very hard, saddle sore and aching joints. Now I'm up to 2 good hard hours.

If all goes well and the training and weight loss goes to plan I plan to enter a cyclo cross race on October 16th, I know what is going to happen on the day. I will find out just how unfit I am! This is a good thing. Then I'll get my proper riding head on.

This sunday I'm going on an all day ride with some Mates from my old bike club, this will also be a test of endurance.

The next thing will be what I do with my bike? Currently I'm riding a cheapo Carrera MTB, its heavy, but strong. I've changed a few bits on it already and should I race I'll put new skinny tyres on.

2 comments:

Allan Morton said...

Go for it Chris!

Anonymous said...

It should be fun riding a bike in th UK. The weather is not as warm as in Thailand. So you don't have to endure the unbearable heat while you are on a bicycle. Enjoy!