Monday, August 28, 2006

Military Coup


Earlier in the week a huge car bomb was defused near the Prime Ministers house, had it have gone off, many people would have been killed and the country would have been thrown into turmoil.

The perpetrator was caught and is an Officer in the Army. This isn’t good, basically a military coup was planned, the in’s and out’s of Thai Politics are above me, just seems an argument about who gets the biggest piece of the pie.

What worries me is what will happen to foreigners living in Thailand should there ever be a coup? I would leave for Malaysia, but it’s what I do with Nuch and the soon to be baby? I think its only right to get an exit strategy, just in case!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ram,

I hope all goes well there in Bangkok and elswhere in the country. My Thai wife and I are currently in the US but hope to return. I am an American who was teaching English there. I hate to see the turmoil going on in such a lovely and peaceful country. I always felt so safe there. I am not sure what, if anything, Thaksin can do but I know how greatly loved and respected the King is. We have been wearing the yellow shirts and wrist bands to honor him. We are hoping for peace and stability and no bloodshed. If that can happen anywhere, it can happen in Thailand.

BangkokRam said...

All seems fairly normal. A lot of troops near where I live, but everyone seems mellow. You know the thai's "No confrontation" is the name of the game.