Thursday, June 22, 2006

Tiger Zoo


Last weekend we went to the Tiger Zoo near Pattaya. I wasn’t looking forward to it, much as I’ve never really been into animal welfare, I dint like it when bad animal welfare kicks you in the teeth.

The Zoo was actually quite modern and the animals seemed to be happy, as much as any animal can be happy caged up.

Straight up, I fulfilled a life time’s ambition and got up close and personal with a Tiger. Although it was only eight weeks old, it was very strong and more interested in the bottle I was feeding it. Its fur was super soft; I definitely wanted to take it home with me.

Next to the tiger cub was a strange display, in one pen there was a suckling pig suckling two piglets and two tiger cubs, in the next there was a tigress suckling four piglets in tiger skins. I can see what they are saying, but why not let the Tiger suckle the cubs and the pig suckles the pigs!

In the next cage there was a sign saying “Happy Families” In it where a pig, a golden retriever and a tiger. The dog was trying to hump the pig and the tiger just looked confused. This is not as confused as I was at the next display. A large rock display with around ten tigers sheltering under a cave, but at the other end where an African family dressed in tiger skins. To this day I don’t know what the point of this was?

There were plenty of Deer, Camel, Croc’s, Horses and Pig’s all over the place. Some of the more bizarre shows included Pig racing, a woman with around 200 Scorpions on her and you could for a small price hold a croc egg as it hatched.

Pretty good day out….

No comments: