Friday, May 12, 2006

Khao Yai

Khao Yai is the largest of Thailand’s National Parks. It is located about 150km north of Bangkok.

I had planned to go there because I had heard there was a good network of mountain bike trails. There may be, but I didn’t see any. Some of the climbs up the mountains reminded me of the climbs you get on Mallorca.


The main entrance is not very well sign posted; I kept the mountains in front of me and literally stumbled on the Park entrance. The car costs 50baht and the price for Thai nationals are free. Farang (Foreigner) have to pay 200baht. Don’t get me wrong! I don’t mind paying extra. I just wish they would do the same thing in the UK Stuff like the Tower of London should be free to Brits and let Johnny Foreigner pay the high admission prices.

The roads in the park were in first class condition; I drove to the centre of the Park and had a bite to eat at a fried rice Joint. I stopped at a lay by that said it was a panoramic view. I opened the car door and the noise of the insects in the Jungle was staggering, nearly unbearable. I began to trapse off into the jungle when only 20M in, there was a huge spiders web with a juicy spider in it spun between two trees on the path. Disgracion became the better part of valour and I gave way.

I drove up to highest point in the Park, the road got a little bit dodgy towards the top, but I persevered. The view at the top was stunning, and the air was a lot colder. Maybe 5-6C colder than down in the valley.

On my way back I stopped at a waterfall, I’ll do a set post on them, they were well worth it.

So make a day of it in Khao Yai. It would be worth getting out of the city for the day.

No comments: