Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Bangkok Life Part 9

Hello Everybody,
This week as been very busy, What with loosing a day in the pub, then watching Real Madrid on Friday! I only just fit in time to go and see the progress on the house. Last week I tried to ride to the house, It was like riding in a sauna, and put into the mix the fact that every Thai driver as got a personal grudge against you for being on the road. Anyway, I had a fair idea where the Estate was and I knew I was close, I phoned Nuch up to ask if she knew where I had to go, “Maybe” was the reply. That is Thai Speak for “No”. So I turned round and battled the traffic back to the Condo. Too cut a long story short, it turns out I was only about 200M away from the turn off to the estate.
The project is coming along fine, about 12 houses have been built and I was able to get a good idea what our Semi will look like, all is not as rosy as I had been led to believe, the house will be handed over as a shell, only the toilet and bathroom will be fitted, so we will have to put in shower, kitchen and any other fitted units. I got a lot of ideas from the Show House. When I said to Nuch that I will do most of the work, she froze. “I can do?” “Yes no problem Love”. Nuch believes that all westerners sit in Ivory Towers and have lots of workers and Servants to do all our work!
Everything is on schedule with the delivery date of next February, I shall be going over there once a month to keep an eye on things, and I shall be looking out for housey stuff till then.

This week’s beer was one of the first foreign imports into Thailand; Klosters is a German beer and is available on draught in many high end establishments in Bangkok. It’s now brewed in Thailand, and cost a cool 50p for a half pint can. If this beer was cheaper it would be my beer of choice, it as a full flavour and smells like a beer should, it is only 5.4%abv, so I calculate would take nearly a fiver before you found big Udders attractive. (You know who I mean)

Taste 9/10
Ease of getting pissed 6/10
Value 5/10
Total score 20

Next week, The King of Thai Beer’s

This week I look at the new Health warnings on Thai Fag packets. They are very graphic, this one show what can happen to your teeth if you are a heavy smoker, others include a cut open chest showing the blackened lungs and the dead heart, these are aimed at the Peasants of Thailand who cannot read, and rely on graphics. The only problem I have with this is, many poor Thai’s have terrible teeth, worse than those on the fag packet, maybe they see these teeth and think their teeth will look better after a few hundred fags! Who knows?
Just off to play golf, speak to you all soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happened to browse your blog and noticed your comment that fag packs have graphics for Thai peasants that can't read. England has a literacy rate of 99% (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108078.html) BUT Thailand is not that far behind with 94.5% (http://www.thaihemato.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=22). Just maybe it is intended for folks like you and I that can read but need graphics to get the message across. Nice blog and all the best!