Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Bangkok Life part 11

Hello Everybody,
This week I said goodbye to Dave and hello and goodbye to Chris Cordall, as I’m writing this I’m about to meet up with my best mate Phil. We’ve got loads of business and loads of nights out planned, several companies and shops to see during the day. I’m going to make sure Phil will be busy. Nuch isn’t impressed I’m going out again, it’s a rare thing for Thai guys to go out without their wives, alas I’m English and its expected of me, I’ve adapted to most things Thai, now it Nuch’s turn. Next week a full review of a week with Phil. (18 cert)
During this week I’ll be visiting many restaurants in Bangkok so I will try to do a review of them. I’m going to work out a bit of a key to give you some idea what they are like, including environment, value and quality of food; I will also do it for the Hotels that I’ve stayed in. ( Phil in his Fave hat )
Remember if you know anyone who is coming to Bangkok or may be interested in this site, please pass the address on.

This week I have the results of my Thai Beer Poll, the first three places are all Thai Beer’s, not Thai made imports. Thai Beers are generally stronger than UK beers; they don’t have to pay massive duty excess on beer over 5%abv. One thing to remember about this poll is that not of these Thai beers can hold a candle up to Marston pedigree or a top pint of Bass!

Best Taste 1st Beer Chang
2nd Red Horse
3rd Heineken

Ease of getting Pissed 1st Red Horse
2nd Beer Chang
3rd Singha

Value 1st Beer Chang
2nd Singha
3rd Leo

The Best Beer in Thailand 1st Beer Chang
2nd Singha
3rd Red Horse (Not 2nd, too hard to find)

See “Bangkok Life Part 4” for a full review.

Let me tell you about Thai TV, I have to be careful what I say because Nuch works for UBC TV which is the Thai version of SKY. Actual Thai Channels are terrible, loads of game shows, talent (non) Shows and real awful Soap Operas, at first I thought these serials where comedies, but no, they are deadly serious, one involves a Ghost, you know he is a ghost because he wears eye liner, the Thais are Shit scared of him, I sit there pissing myself with laughter. Every program will have at least one lady boy, and most of the main actors are of Thai/European origin, because they are better looking. Another bad source of Soap Operas is from other Asian countries, these are dubbed into Thai. One recently from Korea is a huge hit all over Asia; it was called “Full House”. Basically it goes like this: Actor as best friend, best friend as girlfriend, actor wants girlfriend. Actor marries a common girl to get at girlfriend, girlfriend leaves best friend, actor starts to like wife, then girlfriend, then wife, then girlfriend, best friend starts to like wife etc etc etc! In all this time no one as kissed, slept together, died or come back as a long lost twin. “Utter Shite”. When the actor character visited Japan recently, reserved middle class women through their knickers at him.
There are ten channels in English, there would be more if you have satellite, but most people have cable. The channels are film channels HBO, Cinemax and Star Films, crap American sitcom channel Hallmark. I have sports channels ESPN and Star Sports and lastly the usual hotel channels CNN, BBC World and CNBC. The sports are ok, but when live premiership comes on they switch to Thai language, if you have satellite you can get English language commentary. One thing that does impress me is at 8am and 6pm, an all Thai Channels they play the National Anthem. Respect! Can you imagine that in the UK? Just think of all the human rights we would infringe!

3 comments:

BangkokRam said...

You mean Kingston Communication allows SKY in Hull, how civil of them. Seen the Grrr Tigers twice on TV, Shite games both times.

BangkokRam said...

So this means by default that you are personally funding Pop Rivet Stadium, Mr Pearson and the Tigers! Dont tell Messers Hall and Shepperd or you'll be thrown out of St. James for Treason.

BangkokRam said...

TGB, Most people give to concerns like Africa and the Tsunami Appeal, you through the goodness of your heart contribute to a more needy and impoverished people. "CODHEADS"