Monday, October 03, 2011

My New Bike


Yesterday, I took possession of a brand spanking new Road Bike.

Too those people who don't know me too well, I raced bikes of all disciplines from 14-34 years old. Mostly at a very pedestrian rate, but towards the end of my time I strung a couple of good seasons together. Due to ill health and my move to Thailand I've never been able to get back riding seriously, I've tried several times, always with the view to start racing again, now I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably never race again, but I'm determined to get fit using my bike and aim to be an enthusiastic Sportif Rider. A posh name for someone who rides a lot, but doesn't race.

Through to Christmas I want to get something like fit and then maybe get out to Mallorca next spring for a week riding the best road and routes in Europe, before spending a good summer riding both my Road Bike or my MTB. Maybe!!! I have just bought a Boardman Team Comp. Before anybody asks which Bank I robbed? I got it through the "Cycle to work Scheme". A brilliant scheme which at the end of the day gives you at least 45% off a bike. This bike is the lightest I've ridden at just over 8kg, a massive change from when I ride in the 80's and I spent more on a bike that weighed over 10kg. Technology and Far East production rule.

Today I ride up to Matlock and back, only 22 miles, but in my current form it could have been a killer. I must admit I found it easy and next week plan to double the amount. Although the riding conditions today were perfect! This week I also plan to try and cycle to work a couple of times.

Hopefully on a few months I'll be thin enough to wear Lycra and not give anyone who sees me nightmares.

No comments: