Sunday, October 16, 2011

Diabetes, me and cycling

Since I started riding my bike and enjoying taking excercise, I've noticed that I have to really watch where and when I eat or drink and also what I eat and drink when I'm the bike.

Today was a classic example. I went on a 1-1/2 hour ride which I was really pleased with my performance. I got back home qabout 11am. I felt hungry, but I got ready to go out. WE went shopping and at around 12.30pm as we were walking around Westfields in Derby I suddenly lost proper vision and had a mild blackout. Luckily in "Build a Bear Workshop" there was a seat for bored adults and I gladly took it.

I'm coming to know the symptons and what to expect when I have a Hyperglycemia attack, feeling dizzy, blurred vision, sweating and being irritable amongst others. It occurs when your blood sugar drops below 3.8mmo/l and can cause many more problems.

A quick visit to the food court sorted the initial dizziness, but even now, 6 hours after it happened and an hour in bed I still don't feel myself.

Tonight I'm going to have a good high carb and protein meal and drink plenty of fluid before bed.

This isn't going to go away, so I'm going to have to be ultra careful when I do another hard workout. Look what I eat before, during and after excercise.

No comments: