Sunday, February 26, 2006

Bang Pa-In Palace


Bang Pa-In Palace is located around 50 miles from Bangkok. It is an old Palace that is not used anymore.

The grounds it is set in are fantastic, lovely gardens, lakes and lawns. There is a main Palace which gives you an idea at the opulance the King's must live in. There was something about the place that was familiar! I finally put my finger on it, Carpet. It was probaly the first time that I had stepped on a carpet since I arrived in Thailand. The stuff that comes to mind! Maybe i'm loosing mine.

The King who built the Palace was Rama V, this was the king Yul Bryner played in the "King & I". A story the Thai's hate and which it seems bares no semblance of truth. In all fairness, now I know some of the facts I agree with them.

All around the grounds are little bungalows, very nicely furnished and set out. I asked "what was this Bungalow?". "The Kings wife", came the reply. "Whose house was the house next door?", "The Kings wife". I then asked how many wives the King had had? The reply was not exact, but around 180! Mix this with the near 600 children he had and then you'll see what litttle time the King would have had for a divorced, frumpy middle aged victorian Farang woman.

The best place on the site is a Chinese Temple, full of gold and black furniture, Gongs and again, carpet.

No comments: