Friday, September 30, 2005

Bangkok Burns


Last sunday after weeks of intricate planning, Nuch and I walked up the steps of the Landmark Hotel in Bangkok. Waiting for us where Alan and Jackie Burns. As most of you probaly know I used to work with Alan when I worked at reckitt Benckiser in Hull. This trip I felt slightly responsible for, I used to come back from my visits to Thailand and tell him how good it was, so when he said he was forgoing his annual holiday to Malta to visit Thailand I was apprehensive.
The good news was that they at least liked the Hotel (See Landmark Hotel Blog).
I also met Jackies cousin Graham and his mate, Michael. So off we trotted on the Skytrain to Chatuchak Weekend Market, I think taking them there was a bit of a culture shock, it is rammed with people, a huge market and very hot. We introduced them to Thai food which did not go down to well, altough the Singha beer went down a treat. So I tried to recover from the the dissapointment of the market and took them back on the Skytrain to the Emporium Shopping Centre in Bangkok. If your a Thai, This is the most expensive Mall in Thailand. The Burns loved it, the prices I guess are cheap compared to the UK. In the evening we took them to a local thai restaurant called the Banya, it's one of my favourites. Alas I found out that maybe Thai food was not for my guests.
That night I took them to Patpong, which is one of three Red light areas in Bangkok, nowadays its very tame and more famous for its Night Bizaar. As you walk around the edge of the Market you are hassled by people wanting you to go and see a "Ping Pong" Show, you ocassionally see behind the curtains of the Go-Go bars and see the semi naked girls dancing around, all very tame. A single blokes paradise! I dont think Alan and Jackie were to impressed with this part, although the market and some of its shops were a huge hit.
The following day turned into a eight hour shopping marathon, We went to a high class Mall called Gaysorn then down to the wholesale district where Jackie was measured up at a Tailors that I recommended. Alan stopped off for a quick cream cake in the Indra Regent Hotel. From Pratunam I then took them to MBK. MBK is a huge shopping centre, about ten floors like Meadowhall. We found a shop selling Cheap Diesel jeans which more than pleased Jackie. I managed to stagger back to Phil's Condo where I met Nuch and went back around to the Landmark to meet up for dinner. We took them to the Hard Rock Cafe, I fairly sure that they enjoyed it, the food was good and the band excellent as usual. I was dead on my feet and left at 10.30pm, the Burns party stayed till gone 1am.
On the wednesday, you guessed it, we started off at the Emporium, then a quick trip to Siam Square and on agian to Pratunam to pick up Jackies Suits. Jackie really liked them, which is always good when you recommend someone. In the evening we went to a Indian restaurant across from the Landmark, a very good meal it was too. After the meal it was back to Patpong for some last minute shopping.
I must say a big thank you to Alan, Jackie, Graham and Michael for buying me and Nuch's meals in the evening, it always good to see people from the UK. I hope they have a good time in Phucket and come back next year. Hopefully i'll get a chance to show them some of the tourist sights of Bangkok.

1 comment:

BangkokRam said...

He did have a love of cream cakes, better than Thai food anyday he said.