Thursday, March 09, 2006

Strange Old Week

Amphur Office
This week as been one of the most mental in my life, it was capped off today when Nuch and I got married. We have been planning it for a while now and the fact that she is also 10 weeks pregnant sort of bought everything forward.

The paper work involved in getting married is crazy. On monday morning I went armed to the Embassy with a letter I needed from them stating I was free to marry a Thai National. I got there, waited an hour and then was told I had put on the letter I was born in Derby, when on my passport it says I was born in Holbrook, Those of you not familiar with Derbyshire geography. Holbrook is a village about 2 miles from Derby. So off I went back to the Condo and amended it. That Afternoon I went back and waited another hour. I had to collect it in the morning.

Nuch's Post Meal
The following morning I went back and bizarrly collected it straight away. I had to get it translated into Thai which took another hour. I then had to go to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get the British Embassy Stamp authenticated. I waited one hour to be told the form would take another two hours. I ran a few errands and returned to pick it up. So two days spent sitting on my arse waiting for paper work.

Today we went to the local Amphur Office, this is like a registry office in the UK. We waited for an hour only to be interupted by the guy coming to fit Satallite TV in the new house. So I got my priorities right and went back to the house.

We returned in the afternoon, another one hour wait, then a real miserable woman took all our details and wrote out the Certificate for the Head of the Amphur to sign. He was really miserable, he also noticed they had spelt my name wrong, so we had to wait for an ammendment. This arrived and a few signatures later we were married. No fuss, no messing, just sorted. Nuch then had to have her ID changed which took another 30 minutes. On the way out she showed it me and it was wrong, they still had her as Miss. Another 30 mins later we were all set.

The Certificate

This is just the legal part, when I can afford the expensive Doury, we will have a full on wedding party, to which you are all invited. I will let you know the date.

Tonight we are watching TV, eating Pizza and i'm having a few beers. Just what the Doctor ordered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your marriage. It seems to have taken some paperwork and time but I was surprised how fast!!

I wish Thailand would marry guys n guys the same way.

Anonymous said...

Chris and Nuch,

Just spent a very entertaining hour reading your blog.
Congratulations on your wedding, best wishes to you both for your future together. I'm really pleased for you Chris and look forward to seeing you early November. Lesley